Ahoy mateys – Wellycon is a-comin’. This year is the tenth Wellycon – X marks the spot – Pirates is the theme! Come play the high seas, or the cosmic seas.
Wellycon is New Zealand’s biggest, fun, friendly board game convention. Over the course of Queen’s Birthday weekend 400+ people from 6 to 60 get together to play modern board games. Got a game you’d like to try? Peruse the library of games brought by your fellow players. Or want to meet some designers & have input into a game design? Everyone from Cheeky Parrot to Weta games will be there.
Not far from the railway station, it’s easy to join us for some low-stress, inventive fun. Our volunteers will make you very welcome, with heaps of time to play something old or something new! Bring your gaming buddies or meet some new friends, there’s heaps to choose from.
- Tournaments – X-wing, Dominion, King of Tokyo, the list goes on….
- Mega-game – cross between LARP & board game. Take up roles & work as a team to defeat the game. Don’t know what a Mega-game is, check out this video from Shut up & Sit down. Enormous fun for up to 40 people!! more details as things progress….
- Play-to-win – more than 10 of the latest games & kickstarters will be yours to try and each given away to one lucky player.
- Kids session Sunday 10-2pm – Wellycon’s family-friendly reputation continues with the very popular kids session; a huge selection of games that they can really get into while you get your game on! The Treasure hunt will keep them happy and we’re working on what Capital E will be doing. Join the kids, and perhaps you’ll discover a new family favourite. The more the merrier (note: kids under 13 must be accompanied by an adult to attend Wellycon).
- Workshops – sign up to make something of your very own e.g. a cool dice bag.
- Game designers corner – Try something so new it isn’t even finished yet! You may be interested in getting feedback on games you’re working on or comparing ideas with others of like mind. Feedback – our game designers can’t get enough of it!
- Trade table – swap or trade-up those games that just don’t get the love they should.
- Late night session – Last year’s experiment was very popular, so we will be running a ‘Wellycon after dark’ session again, first in first served.
And some very special events for this, our 10th anniversary:
- Aquila Rift – Yes, the rumours are true! We are having a mega-game, created just for Wellycon! Don’t know what a Mega-game is, check out this video from Shut up & Sit down. Enormous fun for up to 40 people!! Take your gaming to the next level – sign up here on meetup – first in first served!
- Steve Jackson Games – will be on the floor and running either a tournament or a special event still to be determined!
- WETA games – are coming down and bringing some of their heavy hitters – in every sense of the word.
- Life-size CodeNames – a social game for 20 people. Everyone is assigned a word and it’s up to you to work out who is on your team, and who is masquerading!
We are very fortunate to have the support of some great sponsors. Many thanks to our major sponsors:
We still have sponsorship opportunities for some of the tournaments and the spot prizes during the day, so if you would like to be involved please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Travel & Parking
Want to know about Travel & Parking – look no further.
Finally, Wellycon is run by an enthusiastic group of volunteers. We would like to thank all the volunteers who run the tournaments, sit on the registration desk or the organising committee and generally make it an awesome event that everyone really enjoys. Feel you could welcome people in and represent the warm heart of Wellycon? volunteer when you sign up for the event and we’ll team you up with someone who can show you the ropes.
We’re really looking forward to catching up with everyone on June 3 & 4th – and we want to grow the gaming community so if you have a fun idea, let us know! Come with your friends, spread the word, pass this on to your colleagues, gaming group, facebook friends and clubmates, the more the merrier!
Cheers to a fabulous weekend of gaming!
Ceedee & the Wellycon team
Building community through games